The 2nd Clinic of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation operates within the National Health System, since the end of 1998.
Staff of the clinic with Physicians of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation:
Konstantina Petropoulou MD, PhD
Konstantinos Athanasopoulos MD, PhD
George Lygizos MD
Evangelia Maragoudaki MD
Doctors to specialize:
Head Nurse: Eleni Garelidou
Character of the clinic
A) Inpatient Care
B) Day Care
C) Outpatient Clinics General and Special
D) Special Diagnostic and Therapeutic Units
E) Provision of a full medical specialty in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
F) Scientific work
A) Inpatient treatment
The capacity of the Clinical PRM clinic is 60 inpatient beds, focusing mainly on the Rehabilitation of Neurological diseases of the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the Peripheral Nervous System (PNS).
It treats patients with severe residual symptoms after damage to the Brain or Spinal Cord or Peripheral Nervous System (PNS), resulting from an injury or pathological causes.
Damage to the structure of the Brain or Spinal Cord or the PNS, leads to severe dysfunction of the body’s systems and to a disturbance in the functionality and activity of the individual who is additionally affected by individual factors, but also by the environment, according to the International Classification of Functioning and Health of the World Health Organization.
The Clinic treats patients with severe Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Vascular Stroke, Spinal Cord Injury (SCI), Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Myopathies, Peripheral Nervous Diseases and multi trauma patients with severe injuries of the nervous and musculoskeletal system.
Close cooperation with the Departments of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy
Daily evaluation of the patient’s progress by the Director of the ward and the prescribed Rehabilitation program
Every Wednesday, after the General visit, there is a visit to the Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy departments (13.00-15.00) and the progress in the Rehabilitation of the patients is evaluated as well as the need to apply an upper or lower limb correction or prosthesis, gait aid and the use of assistive technology, which facilitates movement, gait and self-care.
The Adapted Physical Education Program contributes significantly to the individual or group kinesiotherapy programs.
The Rehabilitation Clinic also cooperates with the Speech Therapy Department for the evaluation and treatment of swallowing and speech and with the Nutrition Department for the nutritional daily plan of each patient and the need to provide nutritional supplements especially to patients after hospitalization in ICU with weight loss and great loss of muscle mass.
The Department of Psychology as well as the Department of Social Work intervenes in the psychological and social needs of the patient and his family and actively participates in the meetings of the multidisciplinary team.
B) Day Care. One day clinic
- Patients undergoing Butillin Allantotoxin injection for the treatment of regional spasticity
- Patients undergoing Baclofen screening bolus test ( Baclofen intrathecal injection) for generalized spasticity .
- Refill of the Baclofen pump every 4-6 months (Day Care)
- Carrying out special laboratory tests
C) Outpatient Clinics: General and Special Clinics of the 2nd Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinic
The Outpatient Clinics of Diagnosis-Therapeutic Intervention and Monitoring are divided into General and Special Clinics.
They operate Every day except Tuesday and Wednesday when the General Visit to the inpatients takes place.
A patient who arrives with EKAB from a General Hospital is exceptionally examined on Tuesday and Wednesday by the Rehabilitation Doctor who is on duty that day.
Special Rehabilitation Clinics:
- Brain Injury Clinic (Stroke and TBI)
- Spinal Cord Injury Clinic.
- Clinic for Demyelinating Diseases and Degenerative Diseases of the Neuromuscular System.
- Clinic of Rare Neurological Diseases (in collaboration with the First University Neurological Clinic of Aeginition Hospital)
- Clinic for the Assessment and Treatment of Movement Disorders.
- Cerebral Palsy Clinic.
- Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain Clinic.
- Geriatric Rehabilitation Clinic
- Osteoporosis Clinic.
- Back Pain Treatment Clinic and Group Kinesiotherapy Programs.
- Clinic for the Assessment of Prostheses.
- Clinic for the evaluation of muscle dysfunction and biofeedback.
D) Special Diagnostic and Therapeutic Units of 2nd PRM
- Unit for the Evaluation and Treatment of Muscle Tone Disorders – Spasticity.
- Neuroplasticity Rehabilitation and Reorganization Unit of the Central Nervous System.
The unit has special devices for robotic rehabilitation and virtual reality rehabilitation (VR)
- Neurogenic Bladder and Neurogenic Intestine Evaluation and Retraining Unit
- Sexual Rehabilitation and Fertility Unit for Paraplegics.
- Electrophysiological Study Unit
E) TRAINING of doctors in the Medical specialty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
The 2nd PRM has six positions for doctors specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and provides a full specialty.
The 2nd PRM clinic since 2000 has received certification (accreditation) from the European Board of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine as a European specialization center for Rehabilitation doctors with renewal every 5 years, which is constantly renewed until today (reaccreditation).
Nursing training in special nursing protocols such as:
- Bladder and bowel management
- Bed rest
- Prevention of contractions
- Nutrition and feeding
- Early Recognition of complications e.g. Thrombophlebitis – autonomic dysreflexia
- Patient self-care
- Collaboration with doctors, patients and family
- Coordination of Rehabilitation program with the therapeutic departments
- Provision of rehabilitation in patients’ free time
F) SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES OF 2nd PRM CLINIC
- Annual conference of the 2nd PRM clinic, lasting two days in collaboration with the Medical Society of Athens or with the Department of Study and Rehabilitation of Neurological Diseases of the Hellenic Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- A total of 20 annual scientific conferences have been held to date
- Conducting Monothematic Conferences in collaboration with EEFIAp, with other PRM clinics, or Neurological and Orthopedic clinics or the Hellenic Nurses Association (ENE)
- Participation of PRM doctors with keynote speeches at scientific conferences in Greece and abroad
- Participation 2nd PRM Clinic doctors in publications in prestigious journals and announcements in scientific conferences in Greece and abroad
- Participation of 2nd PRM clinic doctors as trainers in postgraduate programs of the Medical School of EKPA, Thessaly and Thrace.
- Participation of doctors of 2nd PRM clinic in the European Rehabilitation Society and in the European Rehabilitation Academy
- Coordinator Director of 2nd clinic EEFIAP. Elected member of the European Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine